We're excited to announce that ACL has teamed up with the world’s leading brand in industrial air filtration to launch a range of Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) systems designed specifically for the welding industry.
Designed and manufactured by Nederman, these portable extractors capture welding fume at the source, which is the most effective way to collect and remove fumes!
Why is Local Exhaust Ventilation important? And why should you be looking into LEV?
- In early 2017, welding fume was reclassified from IARC classification Group 2B (possibly carcinogenic to humans) to Group 1 (Carcinogenic to humans).
- Where substitution and reduction of hazardous chemicals in welding fume is not possible, engineering controls, such as LEV, as well as personal protective equipment must be introduced.
- LEV can be introduced to protect non-welders in close proximity to welders by controlling the welding fume at the source.
Benefits of LEV:
When designed, installed and maintained properly, LEV can provide long term worker protection.
Use LEV to:
- capture contaminants at the source and remove them from the work area. This is particularly important with very toxic substances
- handle many types of contaminants including dusts and metal fumes
- reduce the amount of makeup air as small amounts of air are being exhausted
- lower energy costs as there is less makeup air to heat or cool in indoor workplaces.
When using LEV be sure to:
- regularly clean, inspect and maintain the system so it doesn't deteriorate over time, especially filters
- carry out regular and routine testing to identify problems early and implement corrective measures
- have any modifications carried out by a competent person to make sure the system continues to work effectively.